A message from our interns
Our interns Helen and Tom recently spent 4 weeks at Yamagata Europe and left a nice message.
In order to graduate in the Master of Arts in Translation, we were to do an internship of at least four weeks in a company that focuses on translation. Yamagata Europe seemed to be a very interesting choice, which definitely was the case, because it profiles itself as the largest translation agency in Ghent, consists of a team with many different nationalities, and provides translation services worldwide.
We were both really nervous on the first day, since it was our first internship ever. This was absolutely not necessary, because Yamagata Europe consists of very sweet and friendly people. They all welcomed us with open arms and it felt like home from the very first minute. Every colleague did not mind to help with whatever we needed.
During our internship, Yamagata Europe moved office to another location. This would normally cause a hectic situation, but the move ran really smoothly. Even though everyone was very busy with their assignments and the move, they would still answer all our questions without hesitation and a big smile.
We were assigned two tasks in relation to machine translation. This type of translation was new to us, because the Master course focuses in particular on human translation. In order to complete these tasks, we had to work independently and with several (in-house) tools. As such, we are both very happy that we were able to increase our awareness and knowledge of machine translation and post-editing. This knowledge will definitely be useful in our future careers.
We would like to thank in particular Geert Benoit for this opportunity and Heidi Van Hiel for the amazing guidance. This was a very interesting experience.
Thank you so much. Tom and Helen.
Want to live the same experience? Join our Internship programme.
- Five steps to translating life-critical content Posted by Yamagata Europe posted on 13 january
- Yamagata Europe and TXTOmedia partner up to meet growing demand for instructional video content Posted by Yamagata Europe posted on 12 november
- Which variant of Chinese do you need? Posted by Yamagata Europe posted on 17 october
- GitHub: the ideal version control and collaboration platform Posted by Hugh on 17 january
- GitHub: the ideal version control and collaboration platform Posted by Robert Cotten on 16 january
- The Finnish-Japanese connection Posted by micheal on 11 january